Top 5 Muslim Organizations In America
There are hundreds of Muslim organizations in America, including ones that represent specific ethnic groups, ones that represent young Muslims, and ones that provide relief and charity efforts to people throughout the world.
These organizations often have, at least in part, the goal of improving Muslim-American relations and reducing Islamophobia. Thousands of American Muslims participate in these organizations and find through them a voice and a community with which they can relate.
Here are five of the most well-known Islamic organizations in America:
1. American Society for Muslim Advancement – This is a nonprofit organization based out of New York. It was founded in 1997 in order to elevate the discourse on Islam, strengthen authentic Islamic expression, and foster environments in which Muslims thrive. The American Society for Muslim Advancement strives to achieve its goals through a combination of education and organization. It has created both inter- and intra-faith programs including those that focus on arts and culture.
2. Islamic Society of North America – The Islamic Society of North America plays a vital role in bringing together Muslims from a variety of different backgrounds at its Annual Convention—one of the largest gatherings of Muslims in the United States. It is a meeting where people from both within and without Islam can exchange ideas and learn from one another. The ISNA also sponsors humanitarian and theological projects of a global nature.
3. Islamic Circle of North America – The Islamic Circle of North America is an independent, non-ethnic organization that is open to all. It is active in many local communities and focuses on representing Muslim voices and establishing connections between Islam and the public.
4. Muslim Students Association – The Muslim Students Association serves Muslim students on college and university campuses in the United States and Canada. It strives to facilitate education, networking, and empowerment for today’s students that will allow them to be leaders in the community tomorrow. The MSA organizes events and programs that unite Muslim students all across North America.
5. Islamic Relief USA – Islamic Relief USA is a branch of the global organization Islamic Relief Worldwide. Its mission is to alleviate suffering, hunger, illiteracy, and diseases, and it assists people without regard to race, color, or religion. This organization has helped victims of both local and global disasters such as Hurricane Katrina and the Haiti earthquake. It also distributes food donations to the hungry, especially during Ramadan.
There are many, many more American Islamic organizations that represent an incredible diversity of opinions and missions. Do you participate or do you plan to participate with a Muslim organization where you live?
By Ashley Burke of the Arab Academy
Ashley Burke is an employee of Arab Academy, a leading online provider of Arabic courses and learning. In addition to online courses Arab Academy offers study abroad options and offers courses at their Egypt location, Deraya University.